Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
SERVPRO of Alamo Ranch would like to remind you to be safe during the Holiday season.
As much as you may want to cover every inch of your house with twinkles, you may have to scale back depending on your outlets. Check the lights' packaging for the power output and never plug in more than what a power strip or outlet says it can handle. Also, never connect more than three strings of lights in one series.
Always look for the UL symbol when buying electrical items and pay attention to its color: Green means it's approved for indoor use, and red means it can be used indoors and outdoors. If you're using old lights, check the wires to make sure there are no signs of fraying or cracking. Even if you've followed all of these precautions, you should still unplug all indoor lights when you leave the house. Yes, even the ones on your tree in the bay window.
Source: Good Housekeeping Institute
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (210) 670-9591
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.